Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Professor's Education Through A Startup

I have been a professor doing research on advanced technology.  Only when I spend time in industry and in startup, did I realize the straight facts of innovation, startup, and business.

There is no guessing.  Everything is learning by making mistakes.  Either intentionally or accidentally.

There is business everywhere.  To make money is hard, to acquire talent is hard.

You must pick a business first, then choose what to invent.  You can not invent something and then go into business with it.

It is exceptionally difficult to make a profit.

No matter what you know, the only way to change the world is by vision and hustle.

Startup is the most lonely and uncomfortable thing anyone could try.  The reward could be amazing after you start a second time.

You are clever but not wise.  You must occupy a name with your repeated acts, and you must steal sales.  There is no shortcuts.

Idealistic people think
(1) I will make an offer - people will love it.  They will pay me.
(2) People will pay me, basically for my great work.  And I will make profit.

This is wrong.
People will pay me if I give them what they want.  They will pay me what they perceive as fair.  It is typically lower than cost.

Idealistic people think
If I think of something good to offer, I would get help, I would get buyers, and they would pay me.

This is wrong.  It is all based on "I intend to help".  No one really cares.  The world has enough.  If you want it, you push for it.  There is no real helpers or saviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment